Maryann KellerPrincipal, Greenwich, CT
Principal at Maryann Keller & Associates. Background includes over 40 years of automotive industry experience.
- Maryann Keller founded Maryann Keller & Associates, LLC in 2001 after 28 years of automotive expertise as a Wall Street analyst. She became a sought after analyst thanks to her strong understanding of the financial markets and accurate market predictions.
- Ms. Keller has served as a Director(Board Member) of several companies over the last 10 years. Currently, she serves on the Boards of Lee Automotive Group (privately held multi-line dealership group in Maine), DriveTime Group (the largest BHPH [buy here, pay here] automotive retailer in the USA based in Phoenix, AZ), and AutoCanada (the only public auto retailer in Canada, TSE - ACQ). She previously served as Director to Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group for over 10 years until it was acquired by Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (NYSE – HTZ) in 2012; Sonic Automotive (NYSE – SAH) 2001 to 2004; Falcon Financial from the time of its public offering until its acquisition by iStar Financial; and for Lithia Motors (NYSE – LAD) from 2005 to 2009.
- Ms. Keller led the 1996 IPO of Cross Country Auto Retailers, the first IPO of a public auto retailer. She later advised on the IPOs of Penske (UAG), Lithia, and Asbury.
- Ms. Keller worked as an adviser and participant to MIT’s International Motor Vehicle Program which produced a landmark study in a book entitled “The Future of the Automobile Industry.” A second book, published four years later, “The Machine that Changed the World,” highlighted the differences in lean (Toyota) versus mass production (GM) manufacturing techniques.
- Ms. Keller has written two books on the auto industry: “Rude Awakening” & “Collision.” “Rude Awakening” is a winner of the Eccles Prize from Columbia University. In 2005, Royal Media published The Keller Report on Remarketing: A Definitive Guide for the Auto Industry. This report chronicled the transformation of the wholesale remarketing industry with a focus on how technology had and would facilitate the buying and selling of vehicles via electronic media.
- Ms. Keller served as a panel member in two major studies published by the National Research Council on Corporate Average Fuel Economy in 1992 and 2001 as well as on its study for Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems in 1994.
- Known for her knowledge of this industry, Ms. Keller is sought for her expert opinion by the legal community with regard to litigation. She has served in this capacity for many high profile cases including Delphi’s bankruptcy litigation, first as a witness for the unsecured creditors and later in support of the original group of funding sponsors. In addition, she was retained by the State of California in defense of its emission regulations as rebuttal against other expert witnesses from certain automotive manufacturers, and for certain other litigation related to the industry.
- Ms. Keller is frequently invited to speak at corporate and dealer events. Besides these events, she has spoken three times before the Economic Club of Detroit, and has been a guest lecturer at MIT, Columbia, and New York University among others. She also contributes to a variety of industry publications as well as The Wall Street Journal and Barron’s and wrote a column for Automotive Industries magazine for more than 10 years. She also appears on numerous television and radio programs in North America, Europe, and Japan. This would include, among others, BBC, Bloomberg, CNBC, NPR, and CBN. She has appeared on Wall Street Week, Charlie Rose, and Nightline television programs. Ms. Keller is also a “LinkedIn Influencer” with over 60,000 followers.
- Ms. Keller served as Chairperson of the Society of Automotive Analysts from 1994 - 1999. She was ranked as an All-Star analyst 12 times by Institutional Investor Magazine. She received the Women’s Automotive Association International Professional Achievement Award in 2000.
- Ms. Keller was an honoree of GQ Magazine's "Most Influential People" recognition.
- Download Ms. Keller's press photo.
EducationB.S. Chemistry from Rutgers
M.B.A. Finance from Bernard Baruch (CUNY)
Board PositionsDirector, AutoCanada (TSE - ACQ): Current
Director, DriveTime: Current
Director, Lee Auto Group: Current
Director, Dollar Thrifty (NYSE - DTG): 2000-2012
Director, Lithia Motors (NYSE – LAD): 2000-2009
Director, Falcon Financial (NASDAQ - FLCN): 2003-2005
Director, Sonic Automotive (NYSE – SAH): 2001-2004
Panel, National Research Council: 1992-2001
Consumer Benefits of the Dealer Franchise System
An examination of the consumer benefits of the franchised new-car dealer system in the USA.
The Rise, Fall and Struggle to Recover at General Motors. Winner of Eccles Prize from Columbia University.